Friday, April 27, 2012

Home Assessment Complete!

Last night we started and finished our home assessment with DHS! The girl who came over said it could take up to 4 hours, but it only took us 3. I think we actually finished in 3 hours last night, only because I’m an only child. Getting information on Russell's sisters took about an hour of the process! They asked a lot of repetitive question. But this girl was MUCH more helpful than the last guy who came over. She seemed to be able to answer my questions and give me suggestions of where to read more information about fostering and adoption. We had to answer questions about happy and sad memories of our childhood. If our parents "practiced what they preached". We had to determine if we would accept a child of another faith - and we said yes as long as they could be exposed to our faith too and their faith doesn't completely contradict Christianity. We had to list people in our "inner circle" and "outer circle" then they asked a lot of questions about our medical history. Any surgeries and all medications we are on. My part of that was easy too but Russell's took a while. Oh yeah and job history! That's another area where mine was so much faster than Russell's.
The next step:
We have to get fingerprinted, get physicals, and get a copy of my divorce decree from the courthouse. (I guess what I gave her before wasn't good enough). Then parenting classes start on May 12! I'm pretty excited to hear all the things we will learn from that.
Because of the age range we will be requesting, she suggested that I read up on how I can help babies form attachment with us and the bio parents. Currently I have no resources of where to look for that, so if anyone has suggestions please let me know!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment